I love making savory or sweet rustic tarts or galettes. I usually make my own dough but for this party, with such a large number of guests, I needed to save time.
I used one of my go-to shortcuts: Refrigerated Pie Crust. Yes, handmade dough is wonderful but this works just fine. I made two of these galettes because I had 18-20 guests. It can easily be doubled or even tripled, and you might want to do this.
This galette has a combination of exceptional flavors: the thyme in the mushrooms, the garlic and shallots in the greens, the creamy ricotta base and topping, and the fresh lemon zest.
When I was developing and testing this recipe, I ate a sliver and shared a slice with a few tasters. Before I knew it, it had totally disappeared and I hadn’t even taken photos. Oops! I had to make it again. And again.
MUSHROOM & CHARD GALETTE
EVENT: Baby Shower
MAKES: 10-12 Small Slices (Can easily be doubled or tripled)
1 package Refrigerated Pie Crust
1 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (separated: 1 cup and 1/4 cup)
8 oz. crimini or bella mushrooms, thinly sliced *
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 purple onion, diced
1 5-oz. bag of kale, chard and spinach mix, roughly chopped
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 large egg, beaten
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Large baking sheets lined with parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large saute pan and saute the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sprigs of thyme.
3. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
4. In same saute pan, over medium pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook garlic, shallots and onions. When the garlic and onions are soft, add the chopped kale, chard and spinach and toss until wilted.
5. Remove from pan.
6. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch diameter. Transfer to a baking sheet, lined with parchment.
7. Spread 1 cup of ricotta cheese over dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Use an offset spatula to spread cheese.
8. Top cheese with wilted chard. Top chard with mushrooms.
9. Bring edges of dough up and slightly over edge of filling. Create a rustic folded border. Brush border with egg wash.
1o. Dot-top with 1/4 cup ricotta cheese.
11. Bake 35-40 minutes.
12. Top with lemon zest. Allow to cool slightly on the sheet.
* A NOTE: I buy crimini or bella mushrooms at Costco.