In my house, party cookies meant the rich butter cookies that were covered with colored sprinkles that my mom bought at the bakery only when there was a party. These actually come close and you make them yourself.
The fun part is that they are made with a cookie press and sprinkled with sanding sugar. They look like the perfect bakery cookies but they have cream cheese. So they taste even better.
They can be made ahead and frozen. You can vary the disk and color of sugar to create multiple versions of this cookie.
EVENT: Baby Shower
YIELDS: About 100 Cookies Depending on Size and Style
8 oz (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 egg white lightly beaten
Colored sugars or sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
3. Add egg yolk, and vanilla and almond extract.
4. Beat until blended.
5. Slowly add flour and mix on low until incorporated.
6. Follow the directions for your individual cookie press.
7. Slide the log into the cookie press and spritz the cookies directly onto the ungreased cookie sheet. Don’t line the cookie sheets.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg whites and sprinkle with sugars. Repeat with remaining dough.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes just until cookies are golden around the edges.
10. Cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes and carefully transfer them to a rack and cool completely.
11. Freeze in airtight container separating layers of cookies with wax paper.