Quinoa is a super food. I could give you all the latest nutritional facts or just tell you it is a staple in my kitchen because I can use it multiple ways. It’s loaded with nutrients and it’s gluten free. If you’re trying to get your friends and family to eat it, don’t tell them it’s healthy, don’t tell them it’s gluten free, don’t tell them it’s good for them; just make this recipe — and they will be hooked!
I used a combination of zucchini, yellow squash, multicolored carrots and red pepper. You can change up the vegetables but be sure you chose vegetables with lots of color. I mix it with arugula because arugula adds a slightly spicy note.
I roast the vegetables and cook the quinoa the day before. I store them both in the refrigerator and actually make the salad the day of the party.
Instead of piling the quinoa on the arugula, I toss it all together so that you get a marvelous mix of flavors with each and every mouthful.
This is so good, no one will suspect it’s really healthy.
QUINOA SALAD WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
EVENT: Baby Shower
SERVES: 10-12 People
For the salad:
4 cups cooked organic red quinoa (2 cups dried quinoa)
8 small zucchini, striped and sliced
7 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 32-oz. bag of multicolored carrots, peeled and julienned
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced into half-moons
1 cup sliced in half cherry tomatoes
1 16-oz. bag arugula, torn into small piece
For the dressing:
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar *
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
3. Slightly drizzle all the vegetables with olive oil (on 2 baking sheets) and slowly roast for 1 – 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to cool. (This can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.)
4. Cut all the vegetables into small cubes.
5. Add quinoa, cherry tomatoes and torn arugula to the vegetables, and toss.
6. Mix the ingredients for the dressing and add to the salad. Mix thoroughly.
7. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.
* A NOTE: I always buy my balsamic vinegar at Costco.