Until I started reading about Moroccan food, I had no idea that artichokes were featured in the cuisine. In this recipe, they are treated to a glorious bath that includes preserved lemons, saffron, honey and other spices. The flavor is unique and wonderful!
This can be made early in the day and served at room temperature. I’ve even tried leftovers the next day and they were delicious! You should too… if you’re lucky enough to have any.
ARTICHOKE SALAD WITH SAFFRON AND PRESERVED LEMONS
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
SERVES: 8-10 as Part of Salad Course
3 8-oz. boxes frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons ground ginger
Generous pinch of saffron threads
1/8 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
Peel of 1 preserved lemon, finely sliced (available at my Amazon Affiliate Store)
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in heavy sauté pan.
2. Stir in garlic. Before garlic turns color, stir in ginger, saffron, lemon juice, Aleppo pepper, honey and preserved lemon. Combine thoroughly.
3. Add artichoke hearts and toss. Add water.
4. Cover the pan and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and reduce to consistency of thin glaze.
6. Serve at room temperature.