Before beets were trendy, I always loved them. I used to be in the minority and now my friends have figured it out.
This salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. The natural sweetness of the beets is complimented by the saltiness of the feta and the slight acidic note of the orange segments. The cumin is a surprise as is the orange peel which takes on the color of the beets, as they chill.
BEET SALAD WITH ORANGES AND FETA
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
SERVES: 8-10 as Part of Salad Course
2 lbs beets (store bought, vacuum sealed, washed, cooked and peeled)
3 oranges, peeled and separated into segments
Orange peel from 1 orange, sliced into slivers
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 oz. feta, crumbled *
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Quarter the cooked beets and slice into thin half moons.
2. Toss orange peel with beets.
3. Sprinkle with cumin and toss with olive oil.
4. Taste. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Chill for at least 1 hour.
6. To serve, mound beets in center of platter, place orange segments around the perimeter and top with crumbled feta cheese.
* A NOTE: I purchase feta cheese at Costco.