There was an Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills, now closed, that served a shrimp appetizer on a bed of shaved fennel. This was such a distinct and refreshing way to the start of an Italian meal, I always admired it. The restaurant closed so I had to make it for myself.
This salad combines the crunch and the slightly licorice flavor of raw fennel, the subtle sweetness of shrimp and the creamy saltiness of fresh feta cheese.
It’s basically a composed salad. Don’t leave anything out: Each component contributes to the overall delectable taste.
Note: When cleaning the fennel, reserve the fronds and use them to garnish the platter.
SHRIMP SALAD WITH FETA CHEESE & OLIVES ON A BED OF FENNEL
EVENT: Baby Shower
SERVES: 8-10 People
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced (reserve fronds for garnish)
1 1/2 – 2 lbs cooked shrimp
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced *
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese *
Extra olive oil for drizzling on top
1. Combine all dressing ingredients and whisk until thoroughly blended.
2. Toss fennel with dressing.
3. Put fennel on a large serving platter.
4. Mound shrimp on top. Sprinkle sliced olives around shrimp.
5. Drizzle shrimp very lightly with olive oil.
6. Top with crumbled feta. Use fennel fronds for decoration.
* A NOTE: I buy the feta cheese and the Kalmata olives at Costco.