I love fresh focaccia bread. My usual recipe calls for 00 bread flour and requires a triple rise. This requires time, planning, and a fair amount of work. If I wanted to make it for brunch, I’d have to get up way too early.
This recipe is just the opposite. No special bread flour required, no triple rise and it all comes together in a stand mixer. If you are a skilled baker or bread maker, you might be upset at how all the dry ingredients, including the yeast, are tossed together in the bowl of a stand mixer, but it works.
The brown sugar and honey make this a slightly sweet focaccia which is perfect for brunch. I used frozen blueberries from Costco. I set them out to thaw during the rise but it’s okay to use them frozen. Couldn’t be easier!
BLUEBERRY FOCACCIA BREAD
EVENT: New Year’s Day Brunch
YIELDS: 1 9X13-Inch Bread
For the bread:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
For the topping:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons brown sugar AND 1 teaspoon cinnamon, combined
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon confectioner’s sugar
9X13” pan, sprayed with non-stick spray
1. Place the flour, cinnamon, dried yeast, salt and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the mixer on the low setting, gradually add the water, olive oil and honey. Beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
2. The dough should be smooth and elastic. If too soft, add a little extra flour.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with saran, set aside in a warm place 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Place dough in center of baking pan. Using lightly floured hands, press the dough into a rectangle filling the pan.
6. Brush top with olive oil and use your fingers to dimple the surface. Top with blueberries, brown sugar, cinnamon mixture and lemon zest.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Cut into wedges and serve.