This is my friend Brent’s favorite appetizer. It is one of those super simple recipes that is easily scaled up or down, depending on the number of guests.
I’ve made it for huge parties and intimate dinners for two. Every time I served it, there wasn’t a piece left.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can toast the crostini and combine the gorgonzola and butter in the morning, and put them together just before your guests arrive.
CROSTINI WITH GORGONZOLA AND FIGS
EVENT: Out-of-Town Company Dinner
SERVES: 4 People (Yields 12 Pieces)
12 1/3-inch thick baguette slices
1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese, room temperature *
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
3-4 dried figs, cut into slices *
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 baking sheet
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted.
3. Remove pan from broiler.
4. In a medium bowl, mash gorgonzola cheese and butter together until smooth.
5. Spread mixture on un-toasted side of bread.
6. Arrange fig slices on top.
7. Drizzle with olive oil.
8. Broil until mixture bubbles, approximately 3 minutes.
* A NOTE: I purchase the dried Calimyrna figs and gorgonzola cheese at Costco.