If you follow my blog, you know that I make cookies for every party. Maybe it’s the child within us that smiles when we reach for a cookie.
At this party, at Krista’s request, we ordered a glorious cake from her favorite bakery. I know the pastry chef who created this confection and it’s stellar with layers of chocolate cake, white cake, chocolate mousse and strawberries. Even though the cake was a wow, the first comment I heard over dessert was, “Judith, you nailed the macaroons!”
I drizzled chocolate on some but you can leave them totally plain. The recipe makes approximately 12 macaroons, so you might want to double it. They freeze beautifully.
Add this to your collection of delectable cookies.
EVENT: Baby Shower
MAKES: 12 Cookies
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/2 oz. bittersweet dark chocolate (optional)
Small ice cream scoop
Parchment lined baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using free standing or hand held electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt until they form stiff peaks.
3. Fold in sugar and vanilla.
4. Stir in coconut.
5. Using a small ice cream scoop, form 12 cookies and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
7. Cool on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.
8. Store in airtight container at room temperature 3 days or wrap carefully and freeze for 4 weeks.
9. Melt chocolate in microwave or small saucepan. Pour into bowl.
10. Dip bottoms of macaroons or 1/2 of each cookie and return to parchment lined baking sheet.
11. Leave on baking sheet until chocolate has hardened.
12. Store either 3 days at room temperature or frozen for 4 weeks.