I love crab cakes but I wanted to make something different for this party. So this is my riff on a crab cake. This is as enticing but uses wild shrimp, corn and gluten free crackers, so my friends with true gluten intolerance could enjoy them.
Also, usually crab cakes are pan seared so they are fairly time consuming when making a large quantify. These are baked in mini muffin pans so they are less labor intensive.
I got rid of the gluten, simplified the labor and the result was sensational and even tastier than crab cakes.
I served them with different dipping sauces including an aioli, a mustard aioli and a spicy red chili garlic sauce.
As I watched my friends make their way around the buffet table, filling their plates, I saw them pop these in their mouths like bites of candy: You don’t see people do that with crab cakes.
SHRIMP & CORN CAKES WITH SAUCES
EVENT: 2nd Annual Apps & Alcohol
YIELD: 18-24 Cakes
1 lb wild shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned are fine)
2 shallots, finely minced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 – 3/4 cup crushed crackers (preferably Milton’s Gluten Free Crackers)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ancho pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg, beaten
Grape seed or other neutral oil
Non-stick mini muffin pans, sprayed with non-stick baking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season shrimp with coriander and ancho pepper and pan saute.
3. Chop shrimp and set aside.
4. In a food processor fitted with metal blade, process the corn slightly. Do not puree!
5. In a large bowl, combine shrimp, corn, shallots, egg and cracker crumbs. You want the mixture to hold together. If it is too wet, add more cracker crumbs, too dry — add just a bit of water.
6. Pan saute one piece to test for seasonings.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Form small mounds and place each one in a mini muffin pan. Make them fairly full as they will not rise or change size when they bake.
9. Bake at 350 degrees 15-17 minutes. Use an offset spatula to carefully remove cakes from pan.