Years ago, when I made my first almond cake using almond paste, entire world of desserts opened up for me. I never get tired of the flavor of almonds. It can be subtle, as in some cakes, or intense as in these Triple Almond Cookies.
If someone doesn’t like almonds, they won’t like these, but for the rest of us, these are delectable. The sliced almonds on top announce the flavor loud and clear.
At the time of this party, my dear friend Dano was in London visiting family. I knew he loved almonds, so I kept a dozen pieces in my freezer as a welcome home surprise.
He didn’t get home soon enough and somehow the cookies disappeared. Oops. Well, he can enjoy the pictures or I will make him his own batch. Of course, this is after I make Mei her Game Night prize cookies.
TRIPLE ALMOND COOKIES
EVENT: 2nd Annual Apps & Alcohol
YIELD: Approximately 3 Dozen
5 ozs almond paste (not marzipan)
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature and soft
½ teaspoon cardamom
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 large egg, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup sliced almonds
9-inch square baking pan lined with parchment paper, leaving 2-inch overhang on sides
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In food processor, pulse almond paste until broken up into small pieces, then add sugar and continue to pulse until finely ground.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, remaining ½ cup sugar until pale and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
4. Add almond mixture, lemon zest, egg yolk and almond extract, and beat until well combined.
5. Combine flour and cardamom.
6. Reduce speed to low and then add flour mixture until combined.
7. Spread batter in pan, spreading evenly using an offset spatula.
8. Brush top of batter with egg white and top with sliced almonds.
9. Bake until top is golden, 35-40 minutes.
10. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
11. Using a ruler, cut slab into small squares.
12. I cut off the edges and save them for staff or to crumble over custard, rice pudding or ice cream, or for me when I need an almond fix.
13. These keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days or wrap entire slab in plastic and seal tightly, and store in freezer for up to 2 months.