I wanted something crunchy and refreshing as a side salad to compliment the Fish Sliders and Pulled Lamb Sandwiches.
I found a recipe from an out-of-print Turkish cookbook and was intrigued. The combination of apples and zucchini with a yoghurt hazelnut dressing was something I had never eaten.
The original recipe called for raw garlic but my tasters felt the garlic was too strong and I felt it was totally unnecessary.
Something I didn’t realize but which makes it perfect party fare is that it can actually be made a day ahead and it retains its fresh crunchy character and the flavors are even better. Try this salad if you need to bring a salad to a barbecue. It’s a perfect summer salad. In fact, I’m thinking of serving it when I make ribs.
EVENT: Game Night
SERVES: 10-12 People
For the salad:
3 red apples
Juice 2 lemons
For the dressing:
6 oz. roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons thick Greek yoghurt *
Salt and pepper to taste
3 bunches fresh parsley, chopped
1. Peel the apples, slice into matchsticks and put in bowl with lemon juice to stop apples from turning brown.
2. Peel zucchini and slice into matchsticks and add to bowl with apples and lemon juice.
3. Combine olive oil, yoghurt and hazelnuts. Mix well and toss with apple / zucchini mixture.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. If serving immediately, mix with chopped parsley and serve. If making a day or two ahead, mix with chopped parsley just before serving.
* A NOTE: I buy my supplies of Greek yoghurt at Costco.