I always include cookies as part of my desserts. They are fun to make and perfect for guests who just want a bite of something sweet. I usually have them out on the sideboard, in my dining room, from the start of the party so people can sneak a nibble whenever they want.
These are simple sugar cookies that people went crazy for. I don’t know whether it was the crunchiness or the purple sanding sugar, but my friends couldn’t stop eating them.
Sanding sugar is one of those magical things to keep in the pantry. It elevates any simple cookies into something that looks like it came from a fancy bakery. Buy some in a bright color (available at my Amazon Affiliate Store), use it and see what happens.
CRISP SUGAR COOKIES
EVENT: Apps & Alcohol
SERVES: Yield Approximately 3 Dozen Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Sanding sugar (available at my Amazon Affiliate Store)
Baking sheets lined with parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Put both sugars in bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed 30 seconds.
4. Add butter to sugars and mix until well combined about 1-2 minutes.
5. Add in eggs one at a time, then lemon juice.
6. Mix in flour mixture 1/3 at a time, scraping down bowl each time.
7. Using a small ice-cream scoop (1 teaspoon), scoop dough onto parchment sheets. Leave 2 1/2 – 3” between cookies. These will spread during baking.
8. Using a small piece of parchment paper, gently press on each cookie scoop to flatten dough.
9. Top each cookie completely with sanding sugar.
10. Bake approximately 15-18 minutes rotating sheets front to back and top to bottom, halfway through.
11. If you want softer cookies, remove from oven when cookies are golden color. For crisp cookies (my preference), bake until light brown.
12. Cool on wire racks.
13. When completely cooled, store in air tight container for several days, OR make ahead and store in air tight container frozen up to 1 month.
14. If freezing, place single layers in container, with wax paper between layers. These are very crisp cookies, so handle with care.