This is my basic recipe for preparing basmati rice.
The ration of rice to water I use is 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water. The most important element to making perfect rice every time is to make sure you have a pot with a tight fitting lid. If you don’t, take a piece of cheesecloth or thin dish towel and wrap it around the lid to make it secure. (See the photos.)
Also, after you have cooked the rice, let it stand still covered for at least 15 minutes. Resist the temptation to take a look. Just leave it alone and it will be perfect!
After the rice has cooked and rested the full 15 minutes, you can add extra butter, lemon zest or parsley and enjoy!
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
SERVES: 8-10 People
4 cups basmati rice, rinsed 3 times
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 cups water
1. Put the rice and water in a large pot set over high heat.
2. Add the lemon zest, salt and butter.
3. Allow the water to boil until water is reduced and you see dimples on the surface of the rice. Immediately turn heat down to lowest setting and cover the pot with the lid.
4. Allow to simmer on lowest heat about 18 minutes. Turn off heat.
5. Leave lid on pot for another 15 minutes.
6. Just before serving, remove lid, fluff rice with a fork and add parsley as garnish.