Once I had the biscuit recipe perfected, I turned my attention to the pork tenderloin.
This cut of pork is very lean so you can’t rely on fat for flavor. So you need to use assertive spices. These spices and the sweetness of the peach jam compliment each other beautifully.
The tiny touch of caramelized purple onions adds color and a bite of crunch that bring it all together into a sweet, savory, spicy, delectable mouthful. Be sure to use a really good quality peach jam. The exact one I used is available in my Amazon Affiliate Store.
SPICY PORK TENDERLOIN WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
EVENT: Apps & Alcohol
YIELDS: Approximately 45 Slices
2 3/4 – 1 1/2 pork tenderloin
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground sage
1 teaspoon crushed fennel
1 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons neutral oil (canola or grape seed)
1. Combine spices with olive oil to make paste.
2. Rub spice paste / rub on pork loins. Let meat rest at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator. If in refrigerator, remove from fridge and bring to room temperature before cooking.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In ovenproof large skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons neutral oil. When oil is hot, brown pork loins on all sides. Place entire pan with loins in oven approximately 20 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 140-145.
5. Remove to platter. Let rest at least 10 minutes. Slice just before assembling. This is fine at room temperature.
6. Slice biscuits in half.
7. Generously, spread peach jam on each half.
8. Top with slice of pork and a bit of caramelized onions. Serve open face.
1 large purple onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Place onions in a dry saute pan and cook over medium heat until softened, 3-5 minutes.
2. Add oil and cook 5 more minutes.
I prefer these to have a bit of crunch but it is fine if you prefer them totally caramelized and soft.