We all know Thanksgiving is fairly labor intensive. Anything you can do ahead is a plus.
It never occurred to me that it was possible to make mashed potatoes ahead until I read Melissa Clark’s recipe for Mashed Potato Casserole.
I admit I had doubts, so I tried it out a few weeks before Thanksgiving. My tasters inhaled them. And yes, it was still good several days after I made it. For the test, I even omitted the breadcrumb / Parmigiano-Reggiano topping that Melissa suggested. It was still great. But don’t skimp on the chives!
For Thanksgiving, I will make it exactly as described, with the breadcrumb topping. Be sure to use Yukon Gold Potatoes.
The only note I would add is to take this out of the refrigerator at least 1 hour before it goes int he oven. It might take more that 30-40 minutes to really get heated through and through.
Oh, and I scooped them out of the baking pan and pile them in a sterling silver bowl.
Once again: Thanks, Melissa!
MELISSA CLARK’S MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE
YIELDS: 12 to 14 Servings
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, and more for the pan
6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
9X13-inch baking pan
1. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan.
2. In a large pot, bring the potatoes, 4 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Mash potatoes with 10 tablespoons butter, sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mash in the chives. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
4. Spread potatoes into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
5. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, breadcrumbs and cheese. Mix together until it forms coarse crumbs. Crumbs can be refrigerated for 3 days.
6. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the Potato Casserole and bake until golden and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.