As I have already said, this is my mother’s recipe. Her original called for 3 tablespoons of sugar added to the egg / orange juice mixture. Frozen cheese blintzes tend to already be very sweet, so I omitted this sugar. I think this makes them better.
It’s a really simple recipe. Over the years, the hardest part has been to find frozen blintzes. I use a brand called “Goldens” available at major grocery stores, or a brand called “Kasia’s” which I find at Costco.
Try these for your next breakfast or brunch. If you want them to be more of a dessert, sprinkle powdered sugar on top or serve with fruit pieces.
EVENT: New Year’s Day Brunch
SERVES: 10-12 People
1 dozen frozen cheese blintzes
1/2 stick melted butter
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
10” X 12” rectangular baking pan, at least 2” high
1. Pour half of the melted butter on the bottom of baking pan. Place frozen blintzes in pan, seam side down. Twelve blintzes should fit inside a rectangular pan.
2. Combine eggs, sour cream, orange juice, vanilla, pinch of salt in a blender and blend just until thoroughly blended.
3. Pour liquid over baking pan. Liquid should partially cover blintzes. Top with reserved melted butter. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Remove blintzes from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
6. Top with cinnamon. Bake covered approximately 1 hour. Remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes just to brown top.