If this recipe seems familiar, it should: It is basically the same recipe I use for the Pignoli Cookies, but without the pine nuts and lemon zest added.
It’s important to realize that when you have a great recipe, you can tweak it in many ways People who attended both parties had no idea that it was the same cookie recipe, slightly tweaked. Oops, I guess now they know.
These can be stored in airtight container for 2 months.
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
YIELDS: 4 1/2 Dozen
2 packages almond paste (7 oz. each)
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
1 ½ teaspoon lemon zest
2/3 cup almond meal
Baking sheets lined with parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice almond paste into 3/4-inch slices and place in food processor. Pulse 3-4 times to break up paste.
3. Add sugar. Pulse until well mixed.
4. Add almond meal. Pulse 5 times.
5. Remove almond paste / sugar mixture to large bowl.
6. Add lemon zest.
7. In bowl of free standing mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
8. Stir 2 tablespoons of egg whites into almond paste / sugar mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
9. Roll the almond paste mixture into 1-inch balls. Don’t worry, dough is very wet.
10. Place on baking sheet approximately 1” apart. Press down slightly with palm of hand or using bottom or a glass. Bake 15-17 minutes, rotating sheets front to back, at least 12 minutes.