It may seem like extra work to first grill and then saute the zucchini, but it really makes party prep easier. You grill the zucchini the day before the party while you’re grilling the eggplant and carrots. You finish the dish in a saute pan, just before dinner. You don’t have to stand and wait for the zucchini to cook as it is already grilled.
This is another one of those dishes that would be wonderful with a simple roast chicken. The pomegranate molasses sets off the grilled zucchini with a slight sweet but tangy flavor.
GRILLED ZUCCHINI WITH POMEGRANATE MOLASSES AND POMEGRANATE SEEDS
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
SERVES: 8-10 People
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds *
Pomegranate molasses to drizzle
Grill pan (available at my Amazon Affiliate Store)
1. Wash the zucchini and using a vegetable peeler or small knife remove strips of the peel, making them striped.
2. Diagonally slice zucchini.
3. Heat grill pan and grill zucchini with no oil.
4. Remove from grill pan and leave at room temperature, or if day before party allow to cool and store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
5. In large saute pan, heat olive oil, add zucchini and cook just until heated through. Add salt and pepper.
6. Remove from heat and gently toss with pomegranate seeds.
7. Place zucchini in serving platter. Drizzle pomegranate molasses over entire platter.
8. Serve immediately.
* A NOTE: I buy whole pomegranates at Costco.