Olives are great to serve with drinks before dinner. Of course, you can just buy good olives, put them in a dish and stop there. If you want something sensational, go the extra step and make these.
You might be tempted to omit the vanilla but don’t. The combination of vanilla and all the spices creates a kind of magical perfume that make these olives spectacular.
EVENT: Moroccan Feast
SERVES: 10-20 People
2 cups oil cured olives
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds or 1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Strips of orange zest from 1 medium orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 stick whole cinnamon
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1. Warm the olive oil in a small sauté pan.
2. Add cumin seeds, coriander, fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and red pepper flakes. Cook over low heat 2-3 minutes until spices are fragrant.
3. Remove pan from heat and add olives to coat.
4. Add lemon juice, orange zest, vanilla, garlic and whole cinnamon stick.
5. Transfer olives to airtight container. Store in refrigerator for at least 4 days and up to 4 months.
6. Gently shake the container a few times.
7. Bring the olives to room temperature and toss once or twice before serving.