I really love meringue cookies. These are some of my favorites because they are so easy to assemble and quick to bake.
Unlike a traditional meringue which is usually baked for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, these are done in approximately 30 minutes. When first made, they are crunchy on the outside and a bit chewy in the center. If you make them ahead and freeze them, the freezer dries them out a bit and they end up crunchy in the middle. Either way, this is a crunchy bite of goodness.
By the way, these are also gluten free… Does this make them health cookies?
ALMOND MERINGUE BITES
EVENT: Apps & Alcohol
SERVES: Yield 4 Dozen Cookies
8 oz. blanched almonds
2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites from large eggs
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Parchment lined baking sheets
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Combine almonds, powdered sugar and salt in food processor. Pulse until mixture is finely ground.
3. In bowl of electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed.
4. Add the vanilla and almond extract and sugar, and continue beating until egg whites are very stiff.
5. Using small cookie scoop, scoop batter onto the lined baking sheets approximately 1 inch apart.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes until cookies are golden.
7. To cool, carefully remove entire parchment sheet and place it on a cooling rack.
8. When totally cool, store in an air tight container for several weeks.
9. Carefully wrap cookies — 2 cookies, bottoms together — in individual plastic wrap and store in an air tight container in freezer for up to 2 months.