If you need to bring something to a summer barbecue or pool party, make this! This is an easy dessert you can put together in 20 minutes the morning of the party.
The challenge in this recipe is not overworking the batter and getting sweet delicious berries. Now, I can buy berries all year long but this time of year is when they have great flavor. In fact, I have to buy extras because I find myself munching handfuls on the drive home from the market.
Taste the berries. If you can’t get tasty, sweet, flavorful berries you can use another fruit such as peaches or nectarines *. The cake itself is very simple but is only as good as the fruit you use. Serve dusted with powdered sugar and a dollop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
A NOTE: * If you use peaches, peel them before you put them on the cake.
SUMMER BERRY TORTE
EVENT: Summer Solstice
SERVES: 8 – 10 people (makes one 8 or 9” single layer cake)
For the torte:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour, spooned lightly into measuring cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups mixed raspberries, blueberries and blackberries *
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 or 9” round cake pan.
2. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together a few times to thoroughly blend. Set aside.
3. Using a handheld or stand mixer at medium speed, beat the butter until light and creamy.
4. Add sugar and vanilla and lemon zest until fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl and mix just until combined. Finish by hand. DO NOT OVER MIX!
7. Scrape the butter into the pan. Smooth the top.
8. Scatter the berries over the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake until the cake is golden and browned, approximately 45 minutes. Sides will start to pull away from side of pan.
10. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
11. Dust lightly with powdered sugar. Serve with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.
* A NOTE: Costco is an excellent source for fresh berries!